Sunday, March 27

Balance.

I have a tendency to bite of more than I can chew.  {It's unfortunate}
You think that I would learn from previous instances where I have done the same thing--with the same end result.  I'm the rat in the testing cage that keeps going for the kibble even though they get shocked, somehow thinking that this time, it's gonna be different.
SHOCK.
I have been working at 1-800 CONTACTS for almost two and a half years.  Impressed? Don't be.  There's only so far a call center can take you before it takes your soul, and we were getting dangerously close to that point.  So it was time for me to get a new job.  And I did just that.

It's hard for me to let go of things, so I decided that I would just work both jobs. I've done this before and it didn't work out, but I was so sure this time I could handle it.  I found myself working from 9-6 PM at my new job --with a 2 hour break for my classes on Tuesday and Thursday, and then going to 1-800 CONTACTS to work 7 PM to Midnight.
SHOCK.
Somewhere in my thought processes it should have dawned on me that 55+ hours a week at work on top of 15 credit hours at school is just too much.  And this seems obvious to most people, but to me it worked because I could pull out a sheet of paper and cram every hour of my day with something and not overlap. Makes sense.  I wish the voice of reason spoke louder to me.  Or maybe I've been shutting it up for so many years, I just can't hear it anymore.

Turns out my Dad is a pretty smart guy with some decently valuable advice.  He talked to me about Balance, which apparently means finding a happy medium for money-making work, school-work, and church and social activities, etc.

huh. That makes sense I guess.

I found this talk by M. Russell Ballard which helped put things into perspective.
"Think about your life and set your priorities. Find some quiet time regularly to think deeply about where you are going and what you will need to do to get there. Jesus, our exemplar, often “withdrew himself into the wilderness, and prayed” (Luke 5:16). We need to do the same thing occasionally to rejuvenate ourselves spiritually as the Savior did."
So I quit 1-800 CONTACTS, (Tick that one off the ever growing "to-do" list.) And I have never been happier.  Because now I have time to do things that scare my mom again. Like when she saw this picture of me on a longboard holding on to the outside of the car.

BALANCE.

This time, I will learn.

6 comments:

Grant said...

Glad you figured out that balance thing. 55 hrs work + 15 credit hrs school = crazy.

Spence said...

Probably a good thing I read this. As if we didn't have enough in common already... Dear people of the world, welcome to the lives of spencer and nicole. I just realized that we could have some sort of tv show, and if you and I were both the stars, the weekly theme would flow nicely considering you'd just see the same situations. just sayin'...

Mel said...

Yes, isn't is amazing when you discover that your parents are smarter than you think! I totally understand wanting to do everything....I think we were all that way when we are young. Glad you are happier and scaring your mom more. Like mom's don' worry enough! :)

Rob & Tiffany Draper said...

I can't believe how much working you were doing! I'm glad you found the balance :) Life is to be enjoyed, not endured. I need to find a little balance in my life too... thanks for the quote! I love it, and needed it right now.

Grammy Staffy said...

good luck when I get out od ICU and home again I will try for balance too

skousenmom said...

"Balance is key to whole life". Not just for the karate kid but for all of us. Glad to have my crazy wonderful, happy girl back! Mom