Thursday, April 1

California

I have a trip fund.  It's small, and whenever I have a spare penny, I feed it.

Thursday started out as an ordinary day--then I got a phone call from my brother.  By some miraculous stroke of luck, that little sweet-talker managed to convince my dad that letting us go to California was a good idea.  Not only that, but he also let us borrow his convertible.  I'm still trying to figure out how we got so lucky, and I can only figure that someone gave my dad captain crunch-berries for breakfast.  it's the worlds best cereal, and therefore makes it impossible to be sour with that ungodly amount of sugar in your system.  Thanks Cap'n.

So I left work early, we packed up the car, and within 2 hours of receiving this phone call, we were on the road.  The spontaneity of this trip was a beautiful thing.  We didn't have any maps, we didn't know where we were going exactly, we had no idea where we were going to stay--all we knew is that we were sunshine and beach bound.

To make this easy, I'm breaking this down into our
Super Trip Top Six
Six: hanging out on the beach




We really love the beach.
 

Please pick your jaw up from the floor...this is my little brother.

Five: Surfing
I caught my first wave!
We went the self taught route when trying to surf for the first time.  We did pretty good!

Four: Downtown Disney

I love seeing thing street performers...they are great!
Nobody loves Disneyland more than this kid
But we didn't have enough money for a ticket to the Happiest Place on Earth
(Maybe money does buy happiness...just a little...)
 
Everyone at Disneyland is taking such happy pictures...we decided to do just the opposite
 

Three: Seeing old friends
We met up with Devon Plott, an old family friend, and he hooked us up with a place to stay and a few meals!
{Awesome}


Two: Bamboozle

Bamboozle is probably the dumbest name I've ever heard of for a music festival, but it was easily the best one  I have ever been to.  
We met lots of good bands. Here I am with my new love Adam from Anarbor.
We went around collecting all the free things we could.  We ended up with several CD's, t-shirts, stickers, guitar picks, bags, etc. 

One: Something Corporate!!!

Ok, let me explain.  Something Corporate is one of my favorite all time bands, with lead Andrew McMahon who is one of the greatest singer/songwriters I have ever had the privilege to blast through my car stereo. (Sorry Elton...you're a close second)

Andrew McMahon was diagnosed with leukemia at age 21 right after signing his second record deal, there's even a documentary made about him called Dear Jack, that I also recommend. 

Something Corporate has been broken up for five years, and they came together at the festival. To say it was simply Magical wouldn't do it justice.  You would need to find a word that encompassed Mind-Blowing, Inspirational, Crazy, Incredible... I'm afraid the English language falls a bit short. Either way, to see such a musical idol of mine up close was amazing. 



 


*some photos credited to my new friend sussie!

Josh and I were about three heads back from the main stage, but it was nuts with all the people clamoring to be by the stage, I could barely come up for air.  I still have bruises in odd places from the mosh pit. When you're in a crowd like that, the only way out is up.  So I had my first experience crowd surfing--and I got right up within a couple feet of the band before security grabbed me and helped me out. Below is a short compilation of the concert--you can see where I'm close, and when I'm far away... Watch it if you want, the quality isn't great, but it gives you an idea!


This was easily one of the best nights of my life! 

5 comments:

krista said...

That sounds like it was awesome! Question: Is that you doing a flip off the shacky thing? I think that it is...and I also think that it is the coolest thing I have seen all day!

Daniel & Amie said...

Nicole! That's so awesome! I've never been on a random road trip, but now you have inspired me to save some pennies so that one day I can get up and leave! Keep being spontaneous and wonderful.

Dona said...

Drake! That looked almost as good as the last concert I went to. Colin Raye *sigh*. Your brother IS pretty ripped. Was he holding his breath in that picture? And how cool are you little surfer girl?
Some of my best trips in life have been spontaneous ones with my brother too. Glad you had such a great time.

Mel said...

WOW-can't believe your dad let you go. What was he smokin????? Sounds like lots of fun!

Audrey said...

I LOVE THIS!!! and i'm jealous....