Thursday, February 18

oh, hey.

After a long hiatus from blogging, I have decided to dust off the cyber cobwebs, give my page a makeover, and even write a little bit. With school about to bury me, the always steady flow of phone calls that keeps work busy, and the constant tug of my eyelids to shut, I feel like there is little time in the day to do anything exciting.

On December 26, 2009--I turned twenty-two, and now I feel the uncontrollable urge to lie about my age. Why? I don't know. Someone asked me just the other day how old I was, and without even thinking, I told them I was twenty.

Twenty.

Clearly I'm living in denial. It took me a few seconds to correct myself--first with twenty one, then I stuttered the true number. Who knew that 2010 would be the year that I join the large demographic of American women who line up for botox and lie about their age. Except I don't do botox. My mom is so proud.

Apparently this new year has also made me a new kind of boring. Just this week I was accused of being a no fun-homework-loving-thirty-something-hermit. I'm going to try to get that put on a t-shirt.

So I have a little bit of a hard time admitting I'm 22, but it's only because I feel like I'm 19, and apparently act like I'm 30. It's confusing.

It's going to be hard make this year live up to the previous ones I have had in my young adult life, because this one probably won't involve me trekking across some obscure place on the European continent. It will have to require the active use of imagination and creativity, but I set out this year with the belief that it can be done. So, I will live this age as if this dictionary definition that I made up is true:

If this is the case (and it is) I have a lot to do and a lot to look forward to. Maybe this year is about seizing the smaller moments and making them great. I mean it's a whole lot easier to "Carpe Diem" when you wake up in London every day with the entire European continent on your doorstep, and a little harder when you're living paycheck to paycheck in a rundown Provo apartment from the 1960's.

And there you have it.

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

amen... to all the above!

Marie said...

Nicole! How lovely to see a post from you, and what a different look your page has now!! I am looking at this from a completely different angle mind you you....at 54 I would not mind being 22. Ahem . . . well, as long as I could know then what I know now!!! Love you loads and I have missed you so very much!! xxoo

Dona said...

My day has been made because you are up and blogging again. I like the new look.

Caitie & B-Rad said...

Nicole, I was so excited to see that you had posted on your blog! Isn't it the worst to be 22, I feel like I need to start buying wrinkle cream. Keep the blogging going please!

Daniel & Amie said...

Welcome back! I'm so excited to read your blog again. And I'm sure this year will be awesome for you! I miss hangin out with you!!!

Lindsey said...

Cole! I am so glad you found me! It made my day. I love your blog. We really need to hang out more.

sarah said...

look who's back! and all snazzy and 22. i have a clever way to celebrate the big two two--come to dallas...hell, move to dallas, just get your can to dallas!

and i'll bake you a cake and we can go to art museums and shopping and watch movies and you'll be like "22 is the best!" and then you will turn 23 and we'll do it again and you'll be like "23 is the best!" and so and so on...it just keeps getting better and better! take it from three three here. keep posting!

krista said...

I love your logic. And your blog looks way cute!