Monday, September 15

God Bless America...and everyone else too!


Every year, in commemoration of September 11, 2001, the field behind the Target Superstore is covered in Red, White, and Blue. This is--no kidding-- on of my favorite events of the year. They have 2 separate fields, one field housing a flag for everyone lost on 9/11, and the adjoining field supporting a flag for every soldier fallen in the war we are currently fighting. It is an incredible sight. It always inspires me with such patriotism and appreciation. My heart aches for the families who have lost loved ones, and yet is full of gratitude for the sacrifice they have all made. It gives me a chance to silently and reverently reflect, and then learn from what I hear rising from the silence. Because this is one of my (many, many) favorite things, my camera worked overtime. I think that the pictures speak about what it was like better than anything else, so maybe you can kind of feel like you were there too. It really was amazing.




the ribbons tied on the flags for our soldiers



Some people laid flowers at the flags of the utah soldiers


they had a little "exhibit" type thing that talked about what a blessing it was for people to come here, and the experiences documented of those immigrants who saw the Statue of Liberty for the first time.

It was very good.



3 comments:

Grammy Staffy said...

That is so nice. I wish that I could see it for myself. The pictures you took are great. Thank you for sharing.

Marie said...

Great post Nic! I miss you girl! What a wonderful tradition and special way of remembering our fallen heroes. I may not be American but they are my heroes too. I think the world became a different place for everyone on that day and we must never forget that. Thanks for the lovely pictures and also for being you!

Anonymous said...

After I read your blog last night I couldn't stop thinking about it because the photos and your expressions of patriotism and appreciation were so very stirring.

I think we both inherited some patiotic tendencies from your Grandma Crosby who faithfully flew the flag everyday starting with the one that came to us on my brother Lorenzo's casket.

Your blog post is outstanding in another way, too - because your experiences have taken you outside America and you love those of other countries - you think in terms of "God Bless America - and everyone else, too !"

You certainly do capture the moments that make life extraordinary !

SCSC