Saturday, April 19

So Far...


Ok so I have been in Ireland for about 2 days now, and I find myself with extra time to kill at a hostel in Galway and an internet connection. What better thing to do than update my blog? So I arrived in Dublin Thursday evening, it was supposed to be afternoon but my flight was delayed... so I spent precious Dublin time sitting at the airport. I spent the remainder of the evening walking around O'Connell Street, trying to find somewhere cheap to eat, and some cool sights to see. Turns out, the entire society from what I can tell is based on Guinness, Ireland's own beer. People spend money to come to Ireland and get wasted. Anyways, here are a few pictures of my first day.


Statue of O'Connell himself, at the bottom of O'Connell street.


O'Connell bridge


This monument was erected in 2000 for the millennium, it is enormous, and underneath it is buried a time capsule. It is called the "stiffy on the Liffy" by the locals. The Liffy, for those that don't know, is the river running through Dublin.


Sunset on the Liffy


Yesterday I was really looking forward to starting the tour, and seeing a bit of the country outside the beer city. Our first stop of the day was at a place called Clonmacnois, which was founded in the 6th century by St Ciaran, the monastery became a great centre of learning and many famous manuscripts were written here, including the Book of Dun Cow written in the 12th century. Amongst the many remains at Clonmacnois are two complete High Crosses plus the remains of another. It was a pretty cool place to see! Here are some pictures of it

Perhaps I shouldn't look so happy amongst gravestones...

Ruins of the monistary

We arrived in Galway around 2:00 yesterday afternoon, and basically just had the rest of the day to kill in this city. I actually think I prefer Galway to Dublin (from what I have seen so far) but only because it has quaint little shops and the buildings are colorful and cute. I appreciate cute buildings.




Well, that's all for now, maybe I will get the chance to post before I get home, but if not I will definitely put up more pictures when I get home!

5 comments:

skousenmom said...

Hello lassie! Ireland looks beautiful. I always wanted to ride a horse out on the Irish moors. It looks like it is pretty green even for this time of year. I love the cute shops you took a picture of. I never thought of Ireland as so colorful except for green! Well, I am glad you are having such a great time, and I look forward to hearing more of your adventures. Love, Mom

Marie said...

Nicole! Ireland looks fabulous so far! It reminds me of home with it's colourful buildings! It looks like you are having a wonderful time as always and putting your stamp on that green island! We missed you at our group study this week! But we were all glad to know you were busy enjoying all that Ireland has to offer! You will have to come over for a day after you get back and before you abandon us to go back to the US of A. XXOO

Dona and co. said...

Hey! One of our favorite fiddle songs is called "Galway Reel" (Brandon and Samantha used to play it together) and it sounds like your picture looks!

*TAMI* said...

You mean you didn't go to Ireland to get wasted and enjoy their famed beer? Glad you found something else to do! I was surprised how colorful the store fronts were! It's fun to experience Europe with ya!

Anonymous said...

Hey !
I'm missing you -I am at your folks tonight after work at the Family History Library and thought I might get to catch part of your 'skyping' but your mom said she talked with you yesterday instead. I missed emailing you on family night cause my computer is still down. I'm so glad to get to see your blog from the computer at your house. I'm again dazzled by your photos !!
I like having my grand daughter give me photo tours - I especially like seeing you in the photos !
XOXOXOXO
SCSC