Friday, November 9

Tea for Two

Quaint little tea shops are one of my favorite things about England. It's part of the way of life here, tea, and I absolutely love it. It's nice to take those few minutes out of your day to just sit and relax, have a nice hot drink, and either socialize with your friends or just sit and think to yourself. It's a refreshing part of the day, and I think we as an American society should adapt this ritual for our own benefit, to slow down our lives a little...even if it's only for 10 minutes, it is so worth it!

Recently Gemma broke her wrist, and has been unable to do the last two hours of school where they play sports, so I pick her up early and we make our way to our favorite little tea shop where we sit and enjoy ourselves while we wait for Callum to finish up school. Let me tell you, this shop is the cutest little thing you ever did see! It is a charity tea shop for hospice, so while I am spending my pennies they are going to a good cause-makes me feel all warm inside...or maybe that's the hot chocolate...I don't know, but I like it. That is what Gem and I always get while we are there, hot chocolate + a flapjack. Now maybe I was deprived as a child or hit on the head one too many times by my brothers, but I had no idea what a flapjack was before I tried one at our tea shop. Lets just say, it was love at first bite. But the flapjacks aren't the sweetest thing in the shop, the little old ladies that work there are by far the icing on the cake. They are always so happy to see you and they smile big denture-y similes at you when you walk in the door. I think the wal-mart greeters should take some lessons from these folks-cause believe me-they are good. In fact they are half the reason this place is so charming, why we just can't get enough! They even hum show tunes while they clean off the tables...now that is happiness!

I guess one of the reasons this tea shop is special to me is because one of my dreams came true there! You see, just last week Gems and I were there for our "regular", sitting at our regular table, and everything was perfect. As we were sitting there in the perfectness, it happened. The nice old lady came to take our order and looked up from her notepad and said, "Well Hi Miss Salt Lake City!" The smile on my face was the size of Texas, because I have always had this dream, so to say, of being a regular at a coffee shop/tea shop. Of having the people in there know my face, and know what I am going to order before I order it-right down to the specifics. Even though they don't know my real name, Miss Salt Lake City works for me! I love my tea shop!

5 comments:

Grant said...

Paints a wonderful picture - made me want some hot chocolate served by sweet little old ladies in a quaint tea shop.

Marie said...

Awww... reading this made my heart skip a beat, "Little Miss Salt Lake City". I am sure your wonderful personality makes friends for you wherever you may travel! I LOVE the tea shops over here. If you haven't done a cream tea yet you REALLY MUST! Clotted Cream , scones and strawberry preserves together are an experience not to be missed!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/

colie-o said...

MMMM yes I HAVE had an English cream tea, and it is sooo yummy! The reason it isn't a regular for me is because: cream tea=2 pounds, flapjack=50p. Yep, that pretty much explains it! But a cream tea is to die for, my mom can vouch for that!

Nicole's Mum said...

Hey, look, I'm the 3rd person to comment on your blog--so I'm not THAT late! Anyway, I have to tell you that one of my favorite memories of our trip to Europe with you was when "grandma" took us for a cream tea! It really was wonderful, especially since it was so rainy and cold out that day. It was so nice and cozy warm in the tea shop and the scones really were to die for! The Hot chocolate wasn't bad either, although I think maybe next time I will try an herbal tea. Maybe we can go to "your" tea shop and I can be "miss salt lake city's mom"! I'm looking forward to it! In the meantime, I'm sure you are as much a treat to them as they are to you! Love you!

Toad and Sue said...

I used to have epiphanies in MY London tea shop--that's where I figured out that I wasn't adopted and that I really do have a have a bubble butt and that caffeine does trully makes me happy. But no one called me Miss anyone--I hope you are practicing your wave Miss SLC