Thursday, August 30

Words don't mean a thang

Hello BUNAC (thats beew-nak... not boon-yack like my mom calls it, no matter how many times I remind her she is totally butchering the acronym) We meet again. I went into the London office by myself today to get some matters pounded out with my visa. Turns out that I can't renew my visa for another six months when it expires in February... so family& friends, unless by some miracle there is a way for me to stay a bit longer, it looks like I will see you all in February! I left some invisible tears in the office when I found out the news, but I came out with a new friend! Yes thats right, Nicole has friends. Her name is Jessica and she is from New York. We were instant friends in the BUNAC Orientation, and after we sat through the dull hour and a half of "what is a loo to you" and "haggis tours" we decided to hit the town. Ok so I use the term hitting the town loosely, basically we just got some food at a local pub and then went to the British Museum-which was cool. I discovered that I am still 'museumed out' from the Europe trip (which pictures are coming soon-i am working on loading up a slide show) but I still enjoyed it. After the museum she needed to go back home, and I went to catch the train and...just my luck- delayed. The next train back was canceled...so of course I just decided to stay and made an entire day out of it. Now I think that sounds far more exciting than it actually was, because I did spend a good portion of my time lost, but it was nice still the same. I did manage to learn a few things today.

Lesson One: 90% of what you say, you aren't saying at all. (similar concept also taught by Will Smith in the movie 'Hitch')

Question: Hi! I am Alex, what is your name?

Answer: Oh Hi there, I'm Nicole

*Hand Shake*

What he actually heard " Hi I am Nicole I am from the USA as you can tell by my screaming accent, if you want to know where in USA simply look at the clothes I am wearing, yep you guessed it-Utah, and yes I am a Mormon, so don't ask me out for a drink. Why yes that oversized thing that says 2006 is my class ring, that not only clearly displays my age but my love for music, position on the honor roll, and city of residence.

Result: Just an acquaintance

True Story, people are actually that observant.

Lesson Two: It's all about the shoes
So I grabbed a small ice cream from Ben and Jerry's and sat myself down in the middle of Leicester Square. While sitting there watching people go by, I took notice (and notes) to what people passing by were wearing. Actually I can't take complete credit for this lesson, because when my Mom and I spent the day in London just the two of us, we spent some time sitting at the ice cream shop watching people and we made basically the same assessment. So when I was doing my solo observation, I noticed the same things and more. So now on to the good bit, I have created a diagram of some of the things I noticed today. like I said, mainly shoes. Look how the top red could have been saved with a proper set of heels, how the wide legged pants go with the thick boot and the skinny heel goes best with the half length pants. mmmhhmmm.
Now if you are feeling the irresistible urge to go out and buy yourself some stilettos (I know I am feeling it) I accept no blame for the matter and do not offer reimbursements. Sorry! And no, guilt trips do not work on me. Ask my parents.

As a side note, I wore some heels today. Gotta love the professional 'click'!

Lesson Three: Ben and Jerry are my enemies.

After I finished my small cup of ice cream, I instantly felt like I needed to hit the gym. This newfound motivation made me walk faster in my heels which made my feet ache, which led to me stumbling (of course) and falling dramatically in the underground station. Ben and Jerry had a good laugh at that one... thanks a lot.

You didn't think i would make it all day in heels without an incident did you?

Neither did I.

So today I really enjoyed myself, I got my visa stuff sorted out, made a new friend, and had a minute to sit and watch the world go by. Sometimes everyone needs to simply forget about all the troubles of their little tree and focus on the forest in which it is planted... don't you agree?

2 comments:

Nicole's mum said...

I really loved this one! You are so funny and so "deep" at the same time! Maybe you should consider being a writer, after all, the computers all have spell check now! Love, MOM

Anonymous said...

Girl you are so freaking funny I love your writing! Its so clever. Sounds like you are having a blast out there, keep it up! And I like your new blog layout-it rocks.

~AB