Sunday, June 3

Here's to catching up...

I have arrived!! I made through all the airports, flight transfers, and little green men calling me “lassie” (no joke- everyone working for the airline has to wear green suits). I sat by an old Irish woman on my flight from Dublin, it was so funny because she tugged on the stewardess’s coat and said “gimme a scotch!” she was just so cute and hilarious, especially after the scotch went down. She even talked to me a bit but it was really hard to understand her between the alcohol and the accent. I got home, got unpacked, and I am slowly getting over my jet lag! My room here is pretty big, I have a queen bed to myself, my own bathroom, closet, TV and playstation 2, freshly cut flowers, and most of all an amazing view! Just the other day it rained so hard, but after there was the biggest, brightest rainbow I have ever seen! WOW! It was a double one too, and the end if it from my view was in a long field of yellow flowers. Brilliant!

Anyways, there are many things within a short bike ride or walking distance away, I can even catch the bus right outside my house! There is also a walking trail that goes right in front, and a large wooded area, formally called “the woods”. There are many trails and such through there as well! There is so much to do here.

Saturday, we drove up to Loch Earn! I did however, make the mistake of calling it a "lake" and was instantly corrected by at least 4 people! They have a boat up there and we were going to go waterskiing and wakeboarding. Too bad a storm blew in as we were getting there! I guess even if you check the weather here, it doesn't mean anything. The forecast said sunny, and it was windy, cloudy, and cold. So we didn't end up going on the lake...loch... and just ate at a nice little local diner there on the overlook. I guess the lakes...lochs... here are not warm at all, they are 8 or 9 degrees Celsius so you have to wear a wetsuit. I wasn't too thrilled about going into glacier-cold water, but i was going to do it anyways.

The drive was very lovely though, we passed Glen Eagles golf course, which is very famous and very pretty. There are also these estates parked up in the hills that are absolutely phenomenal. They have gatekeepers and everything, they have about a 15 mile diameter to their property, and most of them overlook a loch or reservoir.


I also saw some "Hee-land Coo-s" which are...well, check out my pictures. They are pretty awesome looking! Anyways, we had a nice day! Relaxing, but nice!


Sunday, today, my biggest day yet! I go into the Edinburgh for church, so I got a ride to the train station, and my contact from the ward, the YSA rep picked me up on the other end. I was so worried because when I tried to get my ticket from the automated ticket booth it wouldn’t print my ticket, I was struggling with it, then the train pulled up so I ran-yes, in my high heals and nearly (very nearly) face planted on the platform so I could catch the train in time. So I rode all the way without a ticket… good thing the ticket takers on the other side were closed! I was feeling very lucky. Then my ride when I got there wasn’t there, so I waited…and waited…and waited…. 20 minutes and finally found a pay phone and I called her, I had to j-walk a busy road to actually get to the phone! Anyways, she was on her way, just late. I guess when you take a wrong turn in the city it takes a long time to recover. So I made it to church, and it turns out it was Stake Conference. I was very fortunate to have been there for that. The first presidency did a special broadcast just for the UK, and it was really special. The whole stake for conference was about as big as our ward at home. There were tons of (good looking) missionaries there too. One of them is Elder Bruce R. McConkie’s grandson. The ward was great and everyone was so incredibly nice. I am excited to really get involved in the ward here. After that my friend that picked me up drove me around the city a bit, and I have NEVER, EVER seen a more AMAZING sight than Edinburgh. I am going back first chance I get to do some looking around. My jaw literally dropped, it was so spectacular!!! I wish I would have had my camera, but I didn’t take it because I didn’t want to take it into church. After all that, I had to get a train back home, and the hub there is insane! It is so huge, and so many people are there, it reminded me of an airport. I just loved it. So I caught my train and headed on home! It was a very good day!! I will write again when I do something note-worthy! Love you all and miss you!!


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. It sounds like you are having the time of your life. Thanks for the memories and always being willing to talk. I will always remember you as an Indian Girl :)Keep livin' it up and have as much fun as you can.

Your Friend

Chris McNulty

Maria! said...

You are awesome Colie. That sounds wonderful. So, some families have been adding me, I'm not sure how this how thing works, haha. This blog is great!!!

Lynette Hofheins said...

Oh my gosh it sounds like you are having an absolute blast...but remember that those good looking missionaries are off limits for now. Well you will have to let me know more later when you get a chance. I hope you have a blast!

Amie said...

COLE! I'm so happy for you! I miss you tons, but I'm glad that you are getting this once in a lifetime experience. I wish I could come visit! Good luck.

Anonymous said...

WOW!
Your blog is great! Your enthusiasm for this great Scottish adventure and your photo skills really shine out in the blog! I'm so thankful that you have traveled in safety and are having a great time! I started writing to you for family night before I even saw your message in my inbox about the blog etc. so check your email (from Springville, Utah, United States of America. :)

Anonymous said...

'col!
I am so proud of you! Just that whole train catching thing is such a great experience that I bet you feel like you could accomplish anything!
My girls will be so anxious to hear more (they're asleep right now)after they've read this!

Keep it up -- you are doing great things!
Love you!! Aunt K & Uncle G

Toad and Sue said...

Okay, I'm somewhat annoyed that your first blog entry has more comments on it than all mine combined! I guess your family and friends must really love you. :-)
Poppins! I love the blog name and all the pics, especially the hairy Scottish longhorns. It sounds like everything is turning out great for you! I can’t wait to see some photos of Edinburgh. So have you eaten anything that is fried and then dipped in batter and fried again? Oh, you got to try the yogurt! I loved the yogurt in the UK and I really don’t like yogurt. I can tell by the fact that you jumped on the train without a ticket that you are going to do just fine over there. BTW I don’t think you should wait for “something noteworthy” to happen to blog. Think of all the people you have living vicariously through you—-you can’t keep us waiting! And I’m guessing that in 10 some odd years you’ll look back and even find what you ate for lunch and what you paid for it interesting. I love you! Now I’m going to go watch Braveheart and think about you. Cheers!

Sam said...

Yo cuz!! I'm glad that you are having such a great time and everything is going well!! :D It looks awesome over there...*is saving money to visit asap*... lol Anyways you are awesome and I miss you tons! Love ya!